As anyone could guess based on this ingredient list, the rice is usually served in truly special occasions and Sunday dinners.
My mother would often add the black mushrooms used to make Diri Djon Djon, Haïtian black rice, for extra flavor and vibrant color. This is not necessary however for you to enjoy this rice recipe that brings about all the flavors of the Caribbean ocean.
Riz aux Fruits de Mer: Seafood Rice
- Large Bowl
- 6 Q Pan
- Wooden Mallet Or Heavy Rolling Pin
- Clean Kitchen Towel
- 1 lb Conch Meat Cleaned
- 1 lb Shrimp Deshelled, deveined, and cleaned
- 1 lb Red Snapper Cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 lb Peas
- 2 Red Bell Pepper Julienned
- 2 Green Bell Pepper Julienned
- 2 medium Onions Diced
- 1 lb Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Bouquet Garni (Thyme, parsley, and scallions)
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Crushed
- 3 tbsp Salt (Add more to taste)
- ½ cup Olive Oil/Canola
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 2½ lbs White Rice Preferably Ti Malice or Jasmine rice
- 5 Lime
- ½ cup Epis (find the recipe in the notes section below)
- 1 lb Lobster Meat
- Wrap individual pieces of conch meat in towel and pound to tenderize using mallet until it resembles a chicken cutlet. Making sure to focus on the tougher sections.
- Remove tough orange skin and small pieces coming of the main section using knife.
- Wash the conch meat using juice of 2 lime and water. Making sure to scrub throughully using lime. Rinse well.
- Boil for 15 minutes with 1 tbps lime juice and salt.
- Chop the conch meat in 2 to 2½ pieces.
- Wash the fish using juice of 2 lime and water. Making sure to scrub throughully using lime. Rinse well.
- Marinate fish in epis. Let rest for 10 or more minutes.
- Add to 2 quart pot with 2 cups of water. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Boil peas for 5 minutes.
- Set aside conch meat and peas cooking water. This will be used as the stock to cook your rice.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to 6 quart pan on medium heat. Add crushed tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, onions and peas. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add shrimp, lobster, and the cooked conch meat. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of saved water with bouquet garni, black pepper, turmeric, and 1 tbsp salt. Bring to a boil.
- Wash your rice until the water is clear. Turn flame down to a simmer. Slowly sprinkle rice into boiling stock. Mix well, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the liquid is evaporated, add the butter and fish with bones removed. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.