We are so excited to be collaborating with Stephan from StephMadeThat for a crochet along for his newly released design, the Lacey Shawl!
Stephan Browne-Blackman is the designer and mind behind StephMadeThat. He creates designs and patterns for the maker who loves to learn something new. Stephan aims for all of his patterns to be engaging and fun while still providing you with pieces you’ll be excited to say you made! As a young person himself, he also aims to bring younger people into the scene through his testing groups, patterns, and other community-based events.
Lacey is an asymmetrical, boomerang shawl that starts with a beautiful curved section that fades into a sea of doughy, lace. She’s finished off with another pop of color and a beautiful rolled hem. Lacey is a Tunisian crochet shawl suited for adventurous beginners. She has a wingspan of 70 inches and a depth of 22 inches.
The CAL begins on September 2nd. We will be completing a portion of the pattern every 2 weeks, until we come to a finish on October 28th.
What You’ll Need
First, you will need to purchase the Lacey Shawl pattern from Stephan’s Ravelry. Once you’ve done that, you can start preparing the materials that you’ll need!
- 5.5mm Tunisian crochet hook
- 6.0mm crochet hook
Stephan will be using yarn from Shobha of Serendipitous Wool Co:
- MC: Dhalia Galore on Atma base (100% Superwash Merino Wool, 100g/400m/438y)
- Minis: Marigold, Funky Fuchsia, Mossy Olive, and Beautyberry on Vajra base (80% Superwash Merino Wool, 20% Nylon, 20g/73m/80y)
You can purchase yarn from Serendipitous Wool Co, or stash diving is also highly encouraged!
Once you have your yarn prepared, it’s time to make sure you meet gauge. Gauge is:
12 stitches and 10 rows = 2 inches in tss in section 1, measured diagonally
Now that you’re prepared for the CAL, we can talk about the schedule! The CAL is divided into 4 parts, each lasting 2 weeks. The schedule below outlines what parts of the shawl you should aim to finish during each part to finish on time.
Part 1 (September 2 – 15): Cast on through Striped Section 1
Part 2 (September 16 – 29): Mesh Section begins
Part 3 (September 30 – October 13): Mesh Section check-in
Part 4 (October 14 – 27): Striped Section 2 and blocking
We will end the CAL on October 28th by sharing CAL photos and announcing the grand prize winner!
Feel free to work ahead, but make sure to keep posting your progress on Instagram to be eligible for prizes!
Speaking of prizes, we have a total of 6 prizes to give out for the CAL! There will also be an additional special prize announced during our Instagram Live with Stephan before the CAL on August 12th, so make sure to attend the live.
These amazing prizes will be drawn throughout the CAL on the date indicated:
- Part 1 prize (September 15): 2 enamel pins from Fatimah Hinds of Disturbing the Fleece
- Part 2 prize (September 29): Set of stitch markers, one for knit and one for crochet from Marsha Auguste of 1 Geek 2 Craft Them All
- Part 3 prize (October 13): 2 enamel pins from Radicle Threads
- Part 4 prize (October 27): 2 skeins of Troll-La on the Three Bean Salad base from Adella Colvin of Lola Bean Yarn Co
- Grand prize (October 28): 2 skeins of Graffiti Origins on the Atma base from Shobha Nadarajah of Serendipitous Wool Co
How To Enter
To enter for these prizes, make sure to post your Lacey Shawl CAL progress on Instagram and do the following:
- Follow Radicle Threads @radiclethreads, Stephan @stephmadethat, and the prize sponsor for the CAL part you are entering for.
- Use hashtags #RadicleThreadsMagazine, #RadicleCrafters, #LaceyShawlSMT, and the hashtag for the CAL part you are entering for #LaceyShawlSMTPart1, #LaceyShawlSMTPart2, #LaceyShawlSMTPart3, or #LaceyShawlSMTPart4 in your post so we can find all of the posts in one place!
Winners will be announced in our stories on Instagram.
That’s it! Good luck and have fun, we can’t wait to see your Lacey Shawls!